SNO COVID-19 Task Force
As the global medical community and the world come together to face the challenges of COVID-19, the Society for Neuro-Oncology has established the COVID Task Force to address the needs of the Society’s membership and the neuro-oncology community. The Task Force’s mandate is to identify, develop, and disseminate guidance and educational resources specific to COVID-19 and the treatment and research of brain tumors.
COVID-19 Education and Updates
Patient and Caregiver Fact Sheet
SNO appreciates that brain tumor patients are already dealing with distress and uncertainty, and that the pandemic is adding to these. A Fact sheet has been developed by SNO to provide information specific to brain tumor patients, caregivers and advocates. Please share this Fact Sheet with your patients and their families. To download the pdf Fact Sheet, click here.
Covid-19 and the Brain Tumour Community
The International Brain Tumour Alliance (IBTA) and the Society for Neuro-Oncology encourage you to direct your patients, caregivers and advocates to register for a complimentary webinar during which neuro-oncology experts will provide answers on how the COVID-19 pandemic may be affecting them.
This Pandemic Isn’t Making My Burnout Better: A Systematic Approach to Coping During Covid-19
Dan Shapiro, MS, PhD, Vice Dean for Faculty and Administrative Affairs, Penn State College of Medicine, Principal: Burnout Solutions Group DES Health Consulting
and Alvina Acquaye, MS, LCPC [c], Bio-Behavioral Research Associate, National Cancer Institute, Columbus Technologies & Services, Inc., Neuro-Oncology Branch
SNO-PBTF Virtual Discussion: The Impact of COVID-19 on Pediatric Brain Tumor Research and Treatment
Speakers: James T. Rutka, MD, PhD, FRCSC, Maryam Fouladi, MD, FRCPC FAAP, Eric Bouffet, MD FRCPC, Duane Mitchell, MD, PhD, Laura Donovan PhD, Camille Conner
Moderators: Annie Huang, MD, PhD, FRCP(C), Kathy Riley, MPH, CHES
Journal of Neuro-Oncology
Patient Advocacy Materials
(Resources collected by the SNO Wellness Committee)
Wellness videos from NCI Neuro-Oncology Branch
Upcoming SNO Conferences:
- The 25th Annual Scientific Meeting and Education Day in Austin, Texas was held virtually on November 19-21, 2020 and included Town Hall session on the impact of COVID-19 on the neuro-oncology committee.
- The 2nd SNO Conference on Brain Metastases, originally scheduled for August 2020 has been rescheduled to August of 2021.
- The NCI/SNO Joint Conference on Brain Tumor Metabolism, originally scheduled for October 2020 has been rescheduled to April 6-7, 2021 in Bethesda Maryland
Ultimately, the health and safety of our registrants, partners, and SNO staff remain our main concern. We will continue to follow guidance and recommended safety measures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
and the World Health Organization (WHO)
. Information as it relates to all SNO meetings will be posted on the SNO Website
as it becomes available.
SNO COVID-19 Task Force Members
- Alvina Acquaye, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Sameer Agnihotri, University of Pittsburgh
- Terri Armstrong, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Nicholas Butowski, University of California San Francisco
- Susan Chang, University of California San Francisco
- Milan Chheda, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Scott Coven, Indiana University of Medicine
- Erin Dunbar, Piedmont Atlanta Hospital
- Charles Haynes, Society for Neuro-Oncology
- Monika Hegi, Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV)
- Shawn Hervey-Jumper, University of California San Francisco
- Michael Lim, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Alireza Mansouri, Penn State Cancer Institute
- Maciej Mrugala, Mayo Clinic
- Farshad Nassiri, University of Toronto
- Kathy Oliver, International Brain Tumour Alliance
- Quinn Ostrom, Baylor College of Medicine
- Katherine Peters, Duke Cancer Center
- Alyx Porter, Mayo Clinic
- Shelley Pressley, Society for Neuro-Oncology
- Joanne Salcido, Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation
- David Schiff, University of Virginia Health
- Erik Sulman, Langone Health
- Jennie Taylor, University of California San Francisco
- Alissa Thomas, University of Vermont Medical Center
- Martin van den Bent, Erasmus MC Cancer Center
- Jeffrey Wefel, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Gelareh Zadeh, University Health Network
If you are interested in joining the Task Force, please contact [email protected].